Black Forest Cake is a popular dessert over in Germany especially in the Black Forest., It is one of my favorite desserts. This dessert usually uses chocolate cake, but since I didn’t have the right cake mix, I decided to add my own spin on it by creating a Red Forest Cake using red velvet cake. This recipe is super easy to make, and is a great treat for dessert, a snack, or a special occasion. It is also a great recipe to get kids involved.I look forward to reading your comments!
Things you will need:
1 box red velvet cake (I used Betty Crocker)
1 ¼ cup of water
½ cup of vegetable oil
2 8 inch round cake pans
2 21 ounce cans of Cherry filling (I used Great Value)
Cool whip (16 oz)
Instructions for Cake:
- Heat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray pans with cooking spray
- Divide batter between the two pans
- Bake cake as directed on box until toothpick comes out clean
- Let cake cool
Instructions for decorating:
- Once cake is cool, cut the two cakes in half so you have 4 circle slices.
2. Spread cool whip over first slice.
3. Take some cherries and lay on top of cool whip.
4. Take second layer of cake and lay it on top and repeat steps 2 & 3 until all four layers are complete.
5. Put some cool whip in a bag and decorate cake as shown in the picture above.
Note: If cool whip starts becoming too soft, place in fridge or freezer for 15-20 minutes.
© 2018 Sundown Pointe